Ciro Viento, 44, of Mahopac NY pleaded guilty March 26 in New Haven CT federal court to one count of conspiring to violate the RICO anti-racketeering act, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney for the District of Connecticut. Viento was reportedly an operations manager for Connecticut-based Automated Waste Disposal, Inc., and affiliated companies.
Viento acknowledged conspiring with others in a monopolistic property rights scheme in the waste hauling industry in which carting companies worked assigned territories and did not compete.
Federal wiretaps revealed Viento conspiring with other haulers to set hauling rates and enforce territorial boundaries through threats (Viento allegedly promised one contractor "a world of hurt" if he did not surrender an account) and secret negotiations.
At sentencing scheduled for June 14, Viento faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Viento already has agreed to forfeit $20,000 to the government.
An investigation of AWD and affiliated companies resulted in indictments against 29 individuals and seven companies. The defendants in the case have included Genovese Crime Family bigshot Matthew "Matty the Horse" Ianniello, who pleaded guilty in December, and AWD executive James Galante, who maintains his innocence. On March 21, another AWD operations manager, Richard Caccavale, 48, of Stormville NY, also pleaded guilty to conspiracy.
Related MobNews posts:
- Trash co. manager pleads guilty to scheme 03-23-07
- 'No-show' trash company workers sentenced 03-17-07
- Text of Ianniello plea agreement 12-21-06
- Ianiello pleads guilty to trash racketeering 12-20-06
- School bus union boss charged with racketeering 11-21-2006
- NYC schoolbus drivers want mob out of union 11-09-2006
- Galante employee admits hockey-trash link 11-02-2006
- CT mulls waste hauling regulation 09-24-06
- 'Matty the Horse' pleads guilty to racketeering 09-15-06
- Feds: Galante diverted millions 08-10-06
- Galante waste companies could be sold 07-17-06
- Trash racket defendants want court delay 07-12-06
- Indicted garbage co. tries to hold onto contracts 07-10-06
- Strict conditions set for Galante release 07-01-06
- Trash king Galante to stay in jail for now 06-28-06
- Feds run CT waste biz 06-13-06
- Indicted hauler's hockey team suspends operations 06-13-06
- 29 charged in CT-NY trash hauling rackets 06-10-06
- Garbage 'property rights' 04-28-06
- Guilty hauler 04-28-06