Thursday, May 10, 2007
After a five-month search, Canadian authorities arrested reputed Montreal Mafia lieutenant Lorenzo Giordano, 44, on May 8, according to a story in yesterday's Montreal Gazette.
Giordano was wanted in connection with Operation Colisee, in which more than 90 arrests were made last November. He was arrested while working out in a Toronto gym. He faces charges of conspiracy to commit criminal acts of extortion and gambling as well as attempted murder.
He is scheduled to make a court appearance on May 23.
On Nov. 23, the Ottawa Citizen reported that Giordano was an "aggressive lieutenant in the Rizzuto organization." He was questioned in the 2005 murder of John Zanthoudakis, CEO of Norshield Financial Group. He has been named as a suspect in the murder of another man in Montreal on April 18, 2004.
The Montreal Crime Family was believed to have been led by Vito Rizzuto, recently convicted in New York of participating in the slaying of three Bonanno Crime Family bigshots. Last November, Rizzuto's father Nicolo Rizzuto, 82, was among those arrested.
Related MobNews posts:
- Rizzuto pleads guilty to 1981 slayings 05-04-07
- Attorney: Rizzuto won't flip 04-03-07
- Rizzuto, dozens more, arrested in Canada mob sweep 11-26-06
- No parole for Canada mob turncoat Simard 10-22-2006
- Canada's Musitanos up for parole today 10-04-2006
- Fugitive mobsters known to be in Toronto 09-22-2006
- Canada's 'godfather' deported 08-18-2006
- Thug-boxer deported from Canada 08-16-2006
- Canada court clears way for Rizzuto extradition 07-22-2006
- Few contenders for Toronto mob boss title 07-21-2006
- Rizzuto extradition decision due Friday 07-17-2006
US Mafia was born in New Orleans
Joseph P. Macheca and the
Birth of the American Mafia
Written by Thomas Hunt and Martha Macheca Sheldon, Deep Water captures the life and times of Joseph P. Macheca. It finally sets the record straight on the man who was a warrior for the corrupt New Orleans Democratic machine, a pioneer of the Crescent City’s fruit trade, a Confederate privateer and the legendary “godfather” of the first Mafia organization to germinate in American soil.
While answering at last the questions surrounding the 1890 assassination of Police Chief David Hennessy and the subsequent Crescent City lynchings, Deep Water establishes the factual details of Macheca’s life and sets them against the vivid backdrop of Gilded Age New Orleans. Published by iUniverse.
- Editor/publisher of crime history journal, Informer. Publisher of American Mafia history website mafiahistory.us. Moderator of Mafia-related Yahoo discussion group. Author of Wrongly Executed? Coauthor of Deep Water: Joseph P. Macheca and the Birth of the American Mafia and DiCarlo: Buffalo's First Family of Crime. Contributor of American Mafia history to Australian-published Mafia: The Necessary Reference to Organized Crime. Writer/co-writer of crime history articles for Informer, On the Spot Journal, Cigar City Magazine, Tampa Mafia Magazine.