Vincent "Vinny Gorgeous" Basciano was back in court today, as his racketeering-murder retrial opened in Brooklyn, according to an Associated Press report by Tom Hays.
The 47-year-old reputed boss of the Bonanno Crime Family is accused of murdering underworld rival Frank Santoro in 2001. Defense attorney James Kousouros's opening statement focused on the prosecution's turncoat mobster witnesses, who he called "admitted degenerate liars."
A federal jury convicted Basciano, left, of racketeering, gambling and attempted murder last year. The Santoro murder charge resulted in a hung jury. Prosecutors say Basciano took command of the Bonanno organization after then-boss Joseph Massino was sentenced to life in prison in 2005.
Related MobNews posts:
- Basciano could face death penalty 04-03-07
- Basciano says poker buddies set him up 01-09-07
- Feds: Montagna is new top man for Bonannos 11-15-06
- 'Gorgeous' wants a new judge 11-02-06
- Not a hit-list, just a lucky charm 09-24-06
- Feds investigate Basciano plot against judge 09-20-06
- 'Gorgeous' complains to the management 08-29-06
- Feds: Gotti Jr. contemplated false testimony 06-15-06
- Vinny Gorgeous guilty of racketeering 05-10-06