Marcello and two other men admitted to racketeering and other charges in connection with the hush money payments. The other defendants were Thomas Johnson and Dennis Johnson. Marcello faces up to 35 years in prison. Thomas Johnson could be sentenced to 10 years. Dennis Johnson faces up to five years. A sentencing date has not yet been set.
Former Chicago Mafioso Nicholas Calabrese (right) received the payments for not linking Michael Marcello's brother James to a series of unsolved underworld murders. James Marcello is one of eight defendants in the Family Secrets trial scheduled to start in Chicago tomorrow (June 19). Prosecutors say James has led the Melrose Park crew of the Chicago crime family.
Calabrese is to testify for the prosecution in that case.
Related MobNews posts:
- Ratting out the Outfit 06-08-07
- Chicago mobster admits 14 killings, cooperates 05-24-07
- TV report previews Chicago Outfit trial 05-15-07
- Family Secret jurors' names secret 04-25-07
- Feds look for $500K from Lombardo 04-24-07
- Witness list of Chicago Outfit trial revealed 04-23-07
- Deputy marshal charged with aiding mob 01-13-07
- Chicago commission papers subpoenaed 01-10-07