Reputed mob bigshot Matthew "Matty the Horse" Ianniello (above) cited his decorated service to his country during World War II as he asked for sentencing leniency in a New Haven CT federal court today, according to an AP story published by the Hartford Courant.
He is to be sentenced to between 24 and 30 months in prison on May 9. He pleaded guilty in December to racketeering conspiracy and tax evasion, acknowledging participation in a property rights racket in the western Connecticut waste hauling industry. Prosecutors say he received regular payments from a group of Connecticut waste haulers who cooperated to set prices in the industry.
Ianniello, who is 86 years old and reportedly suffers from cancer and other ailments, is believed by law enforcement authorities to have been a key figure in the Genovese Crime Family after boss Vincent "the Chin" Gigante was successfully prosecuted.
Ianniello recently was sentenced to 18 months after pleading guilty to a union racketeering charge in New York.
Related MobNews posts:
- Ianniello sentenced to 18 months in prison 04-23-07
- Another trash company manager pleads guilty 03-28-07
- Trash co. manager pleads guilty to scheme 03-23-07
- 'No-show' trash company workers sentenced 03-17-07
- Text of Ianniello plea agreement 12-21-06
- Ianiello pleads guilty to trash racketeering 12-20-06
- School bus union boss charged with racketeering 11-21-2006
- NYC schoolbus drivers want mob out of union 11-09-2006
- Galante employee admits hockey-trash link 11-02-2006
- CT mulls waste hauling regulation 09-24-06
- 'Matty the Horse' pleads guilty to racketeering 09-15-06
- Feds: Galante diverted millions 08-10-06
- Galante waste companies could be sold 07-17-06
- Trash racket defendants want court delay 07-12-06
- Indicted garbage co. tries to hold onto contracts 07-10-06
- Strict conditions set for Galante release 07-01-06
- Trash king Galante to stay in jail for now 06-28-06
- Feds run CT waste biz 06-13-06
- Indicted hauler's hockey team suspends operations 06-13-06
- 29 charged in CT-NY trash hauling rackets 06-10-06
- Garbage 'property rights' 04-28-06
- Guilty hauler 04-28-06